Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Followers

Thursday, June 05, 2014
I used to be a member of the Unitarian Universalist church here in the Portland Metro. I left because I couldn’t talk about God and Jesus enough. I remember thinking when I was just about to leave, I want to be a part of a group like UU because it has moved on from the equality issue. We are all equal in the eyes of God…period.

Then I was introduced to the United Church of Christ. Fortunately I get to talk about God and Jesus, AND we made a decision a long time ago that everyone is seen and known by God—no exceptions.

I write this as the US Supreme Court made it possible for 245 same-sex couples to since get married in Multnomah County since the June 4 ruling. Clackamas County is no exception in the numbers flocking to be noticed that they too are equal in the eyes of love.

I receive a daily email from the Pew Research on Religion and Public Life listing religious headlines of the day. Yesterday, the main Pittsburg, PA paper talked about the decline in numbers in the Presbyterian Church, USA. Pennsylvanian has long been a foothold for the Presbyterian church since colonial days. Now in the last two years they have lost more than 180,000 people in their membership nationwide; 46 congregations in Pennsylvania in 2013 alone have shut their doors or left for other denominations. I noticed as part of the article that it mentioned that the Presbyterian church just recently, 2011, agreed to ordain non-celibate gays and lesbians as pastors, elders and deacons. This summer they are deciding where to re-define marriage to include same-sex couples. The article noted a possibility of a connection of the declining numbers with the”liberal trends in theology and sexuality.”

I grew up in the Presbyterian church. I have a fondness for my roots. If it wasn’t for the Presbyterian church I would not be a theologian. I know the Presbyterian church is not the only church slow to recognize equality, but they happen to be the ones in the news lately.

I realize this is a big topic for a new intern to blog about, but it’ in my blood—the need to recognize equality and then move on! I am very happy that in my lifetime people are realizing that love does not have limits. I pray that the same love demonstrates the spark of divinity in all, and moves the shadow-self aside.

In the wake of Pentecost, I ask that the wind of the Holy Spirit move in all of us, recognizably showing forth divine sparks, snuffing out any continual need to believe there is such a thing as having no right to love.

John 13:35: “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to share my thoughts.

Joanna

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Description

Kairos-Milwaukie UCC Blog

Reflections on the Revised Common Lectionary by Rev. Rick Skidmore and Rev. Jim Ogden.

Subscribe Now: RSS Feed

Blog Archive